- We can live every hour “blessed by the strength of priesthood power,” whatever our circumstance.
He says that we tend to think that the priesthood is for me. But that is not true.
- We sometimes overly associate the power of the priesthood with men in the Church. A man may open the drapes so the warm sunlight comes into the room, but the man does not own the sun or the light or the warmth it brings. The blessings of the priesthood are infinitely greater than the one who is asked to administer the gift. To receive the blessings, power, and promises of the priesthood in this life and the next is one of the great opportunities and responsibilities of mortality. As we are worthy, the ordinances of the priesthood enrich our lives on earth and prepare us for the magnificent promises of the world ahead.
He tells us that the power of the priesthood is enhanced through our worshiping in the temple.
- The temple brings added light and strength, along with the promise of eternal life. All of the ordinances invite us to increase our faith in Jesus Christ and to make and keep covenants with God. As we keep these sacred covenants, we receive priesthood power and blessings.
Elder Andersen outlines some specific things that we know about the priesthood.
- We know that God loves all His children and is no respecter of persons.
- We know that from the beginning the Lord established how His priesthood would be administered.
- We know that the power of the holy priesthood does not work independently of faith, the Holy Ghost, and spiritual gifts.
- We know that worthiness is central to performing and receiving priesthood ordinances.
Of worthiness he says:
- If one is unworthy, he should withdraw from officiating in priesthood ordinances and prayerfully approach his bishop as a first step in repenting and returning to the commandments.
Elder Andersen speaks of the ideal family situation but notes that all the blessings given to an ideal family situation are available to all of God's children no matter their circumstances:
- Another thing we know is that there is an abundance of priesthood blessings in families where a righteous mother and father are united in guiding their children. But we also know that God eagerly provides these same blessings to those in many other situations.19
Elder Andersen concludes with testimony of the priesthood and the effects it can have in our lives.
- The power of God’s holy priesthood is found in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I testify that as you worthily participate in the ordinances of the priesthood, the Lord will give you greater strength, peace, and eternal perspective. Whatever your situation, your home will be “blessed by the strength of priesthood power” and those close to you will more fully desire these blessings for themselves.
I am so grateful for the priesthood. I have learned throughout my life that the priesthood is for helping others. The blessings that can come through priesthood service allows me to bring hope, light, and peace into the lives of others. This isn't done because of something special that I have done. It is about the Lord being able to provide it through one of his faithful servants.
Study along with me. Tomorrow's blog post is "Spiritual Whirlwinds" by Elder Andersen.