- With your baptism, you declared your faith in Jesus Christ. With your ordination to the priesthood, your talents and spiritual capacities have been increased. One of your important responsibilities is to help prepare the world for the Second Coming of the Savior.
- President Monson has said: “The Lord needs missionaries.” “Every worthy, able young man should prepare to serve a mission. Missionary service is a priesthood duty—an obligation the Lord expects of [you] who have been given so very much.”
He says that choosing to serve a mission is a hard decision. It requires sacrifice and leaving your life for things that are unknown.
- Missionary service requires sacrifice. There will always be something you leave behind when you respond to the prophet’s call to serve.
Elder Andersen shares the story of Sidney Going, a New Zealand rugby player who was highly recruited to play for one of the best teams in the world. Sidney had decided to serve a mission instead of play for this great sports team. Of this, Sidney said:
- “The blessing of [bringing others] into the gospel far outweighs anything [you] will ever sacrifice.”
Sidney decided to serve the Lord and after his mission, played for the team and achieved great success.
Elder Andersen reminds us of some simple truths about missionary service.
- Your mission will be a sacred opportunity to bring others to Christ and help prepare for the Second Coming of the Savior.
- Your mission is a great opportunity and responsibility... linked to your eternal destiny.
- The world is being prepared for the Second Coming of the Savior in large measure because of the Lord’s work through His missionaries.
- Missionary service is a spiritual work. Worthiness and preparation are essential.
I will forever be grateful to my parents for raising me with an expectation that I would serve a mission for the Lord. That two years of service has taught me how to truly work. I have been so blessed to have gained a burning and lasting testimony of the Savior and his church. Missionary service is so important and I hope to have some of my kids also accept a call from the Lord to serve in his vineyard.