Elder Andersen tells us that we are children of our Father in Heaven and that the whirlwinds of life are preparing us for things in our future:
- You are His son or His daughter. He made your spirit strong and capable of being resilient to the whirlwinds of life. The whirlwinds in your youth, like the wind against a young tree, can increase your spiritual strength, preparing you for the years ahead.
He encourages us to be different from the rest of the world. He encourages us to remain true that our beliefs:
- We also can be in the world but not of the world as we reject false concepts and false teachings and remain true to that which God has commanded.”
Although we don't believe in some of the things the outside world believes, we must be respectful to those that don't share our beliefs:
- Everyone, independent of his or her decisions and beliefs, deserves our kindness and consideration. The Savior taught us to love not only our friends but also those who disagree with us—and even those who repudiate us.
Elder Andersen points out that a powerful tool to help us through our spiritual difficulties is the Book of Mormon and attending the temple:
- Another powerful protection from the whirlwinds of life is the Book of Mormon.
- There is a tangible feeling of holiness in the temple. The peace of the Savior subdues the swirling whirlwinds of the world.
He gives us this great way of knowing if our lives are spiritually on the right path:
- The way you feel in the temple is a pattern for how you want to feel in your life.
Finally, he leaves us with 4 specific things that we can do to stand as strong disciples of Jesus Christ:
- Build more firmly your foundation upon the rock of your Redeemer.
- Treasure more completely His incomparable life and teachings.
- Follow more diligently His example and His commandments.
- Embrace more deeply His love, His mercy and grace, and the powerful gifts of His Atonement.
We all have moments where are spiritual life is in need of some attention. Elder Andersen encourages us to work through these moments with faith and not to let the things of this world get in the way. I am grateful for this message as I have struggled through difficult situations, I have remembered that some things are consistent. I have a loving Father in Heaven, I have a Savior who loves me, and I have gained a testimony that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. As I remember these simple truths, they help me get through the difficulties I encounter from time to time. If you are struggling, don't give up. The Lord knows your heart and will help you as you learn of Him and ask for his direction through prayer.