- To have a prophet of God in our midst. Great and wonderful are the blessings that come into our lives as we listen to the word of the Lord given to us through him. When we hear the counsel of the Lord expressed through the words of the President of the Church, our response should be positive and prompt. History has shown that there is safety, peace, prosperity, and happiness in responding to prophetic counsel.
He shares with parents that our children's desire to follow the prophet will be strengthened as they see us follow his counsel and advice in our own lives.
- As parents and adult leaders of youth, we cannot expect our young people to take to heart the things the prophet says to them if we show a complacent attitude toward his counsel in our own lives.
He shares a story of a young girls who applied the teachings of the prophet in her life. This might seem small and trivial but her desire to follow the prophet will result in great blessings now and throughout her life.
- I know a 17-year-old who, just prior to the prophet’s talk, had pierced her ears a second time. She came home from the fireside, took off the second set of earrings, and simply said to her parents, “If President Hinckley says we should only wear one set of earrings, that’s good enough for me.”
- Wearing two pair of earrings may or may not have eternal consequences for this young woman, but her willingness to obey the prophet will. And if she will obey him now, on something relatively simple, how much easier it will be to follow him when greater issues are at stake.
Elder Ballard provides us a prophetic promise if we will follow the guidance of our living prophet.
- Today I make you a promise. It’s a simple one, but it is true. If you will listen to the living prophet and the apostles and heed our counsel, you will not go astray.
He concludes with assurance that the spirit will guide us more in our lives as we listen to the prophets counsel. Listening to the prophet will result in peace and joy in our lives.
- The Spirit will prompt you to know what you should do as individuals and as families in order to follow our counsel, that your testimonies might be strengthened and that you might have peace and joy.
I have found great joy and happiness in my life as I have studied and applied the teachings of the living prophets. I know the advice from Elder Ballard, if applied, will bring additional blessings including peace and joy. As I have studied the words of our living prophets through this blog, I have found that my life has a blighter outlook. I have a clear understanding of the things that I need to do to keep eternally minded. I have been able to see God's children in a new light. Join me in studying the words of the living prophets and we will all be blessed with the peace and joy that Elder Ballard promises.