- As I contemplated the possibility of bearing my testimony tonight to you, my mind went back to many years ago when I was in the Aaronic Priesthood, and somehow I and one of my companions found ourselves over here by the stairs where we didn’t belong, just prior to the beginning of the priesthood meeting. President George Albert Smith, in his kindly way, saw our plight, saw that we really had nowhere to go, and invited us to sit on these stairs by the pulpit. I sat there with my friend and watched the proceedings of that great priesthood session, never believing that I would ever again get that close to this pulpit.
- I remember that I said to my friend when we left the conference, “It sure would be nice to be a General Authority; then you would have one of those big red chairs to sit in.”
- I would like to say, my brethren, that I have been sitting in a big red chair for just a few minutes, and the greatest desire of my heart is that I will learn through my obedience and my service to become comfortable in that big red chair.
Elder Ballard pledges is life and service to the ministry for the Lord.
- I pledge my full support and loyalty to my brethren and to the Lord and ask for his peace and blessing to be with me as I grow in my assignment.
He concludes by sharing that he has a testimony of the gospel and knows that it is true.
- I have a great testimony of the gospel, for I know that it is true.
Today starts our study of all the talks by Elder Ballard. I have really grown to love and respect Elder Hales over the past couple months for his commitment and steadiness through trials in his life. I hope to learn more about Elder Ballard and his love for the gospel as we study together. Please join me over the next three months as we study his talks, talks from the most recent General Conference, and First Presidency Messages from the Ensign on the first of each month. Please invite your friends to drop by and visit as well. We are always trying to share great incites from General Conference that will make the day brighter for each person that visits.