- We observe vast, sweeping world events; however, we must remember that the purposes of the Lord in our personal lives generally are fulfilled through the small and simple things, and not the momentous and spectacular.
The greatest example of small and simple transactions is found in the conversion of everyday people. A simple heartfelt prayer, leads to personal knowledge that God lives, loves us, and has a plan for our happiness in life.
- The Lord has graciously provided the means for conversion even in the most simple and humble of circumstances. Unfortunately, some of us look beyond the mark and depend too much on buildings, budgets, programs, and activities for conversion rather than on the small and simple things that are central to the gospel. We need not look beyond our own hearts to experience the sweet spiritual feelings promised to those who obey God. That is why a new member in the most humble conditions can experience the gospel as deeply as a lifetime member who was raised in the shadow of Church headquarters.
We must be careful to not let destructive things enter into our lives. Just as small miracles help our testimony, small events can have a destructive impact on our live.
- Small and simple things can be negative and destructive to a person’s salvation. A series of seemingly small but incorrect choices can become those little soul-destroying termites that eat away at the foundations of our testimony until, before we are aware, we may be brought near to spiritual and moral destruction.
Elder Ballard encourages us to stay close to the Spirit which will lead us on the correct path. He talks about needing to maintain our direction on the right path and that we each have the blessing of being prompted by the Holy Ghost to render service to others. He tells us to never ignore a prompting given to us by the spirit.
- We must never ignore or pass by the prompting of the Spirit to render service to one another.
Finally, Elder Ballard concludes with encouragement to do the small and simple things in our lives to keep us on the right path. These small and simple things will allow us to remain close to God and lead our families to eternal life.
- May the Lord bless each one of us to follow the counsel of our prophets. We need to have family and personal prayers; study the scriptures, particularly the Book of Mormon; hold family home evenings; follow the admonition of the Savior to love one another; and be thoughtful, kind, and gentle within the family. Through these and other similar small and simple things, we have the promise that our lives will be filled with peace and joy.
Elder Ballard talks about small and simple things that the Lord does in our lives. I have seen this to be true in my life. Nephi, in the Book of Mormon talks about tender mercies that are given to us to encourage us along the path of life. I have experienced some of those reassuring moments that let me know that I am on the right path and doing the correct things in my life. I appreciate the warning that these small and simple things can also be destructive habits that cause us to lose the spirit and to walk down a path to unhappiness and a loss of the spirit. I would encourage today that you take a quick inventory of your life and see what good things you are doing to stay on the path, and remove any bad things that might lead you to a destination you are not wanted to arrive at.