- I will address a fundamental question many of you may have: “Why are Latter-day Saints so eager to tell me about what they believe and to invite me to learn about their church?”
The message we share with others is done out of love and a desire to bring the happiness we have found into the lives of our friends and family.
- Latter-day Saints take seriously this responsibility to teach all people in all nations about the Lord Jesus Christ and His restored gospel. We believe the same Church founded by the Savior anciently has been reestablished on the earth by Him in the latter days. The doctrine, principles, priesthood authority, ordinances, and covenants of His gospel are found today in His Church.
- When we invite you to attend church with us or to learn with the full-time missionaries, we are not trying to sell you a product. As members of the Church, we do not receive prizes or bonus points in a heavenly contest. We are not seeking simply to increase the numerical size of the Church. And most importantly, we are not attempting to coerce you to believe as we do. We are inviting you to hear the restored truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ so you can study, ponder, pray, and come to know for yourself if the things we are sharing with you are true.
We hope that the lives of others are being blessed by the Savior currently. But we also know that more blessings and happiness can come through membership in the church. We invite all to come with the knowledge they currently have and let us add a little more to their already existent love of the Savior.
- Our invitations to you are not an attempt to diminish your religious tradition or life experience. Bring all that you know is true, good, and praiseworthy—and test our message. We urge you to come and see if the restored gospel of Jesus Christ enlarges and enriches that which you already believe to be true.
More Than a Spiritual Duty
As members of the church we find happiness in bringing others peace and happiness.
- Our desire to share the restored gospel of Jesus Christ with you is a reflection of how important these truths are to us.
We desire to share the happiness we have found with others. We see the pains of the world all around us and we know that true happiness comes through a relationship with the Savior. True peace and happiness come from living the way the Savior wants us to live.
- We as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have felt the anguish associated with spiritual uncertainty and sin. We also have experienced the cleansing, the peace of conscience, the spiritual healing and renewal, and the guidance that are obtained only by learning and living the principles of the Savior’s gospel. The Atonement of Jesus Christ provides the cleanser necessary to be made pure and clean, the soothing salve to heal spiritual wounds and remove guilt, and the protection that enables us to be faithful in times both good and bad.
Absolute Truth Exists
Elder Bednar shares his testimony about the Savior.
- Jesus the Christ absolutely is the Only Begotten Son of the Eternal Father. As members of His Church, we witness He lives and His Church has been restored in its fulness in these latter days. The invitations we extend to you to learn about and test our message grow out of the positive effects the gospel of Jesus Christ has had in our lives. Sometimes we may be awkward or abrupt or even relentless in our attempts. Our simple desire is to share with you the truths that are of greatest worth to us.
The invitation to hear more about the gospel is done out of love for others. I have friends who are good people, live good lives, have a love for the Savior, and seek to do what God wants them to do. My desire is to bring them a little more light, a little more knowledge that Christ is their Savior and that he has a plan of happiness that will enrich their lives even more. We should not be ashamed to share our love for the Savior with others. As our intentions are based on wanting to bring more light of the Savior to our friends and family, the Lord will prepare them to find true peace and happiness as members of His church. It is our responsibility to show others the peace, happiness, and love that membership brings us.