- Teachers would be well advised to study carefully the scriptures and their manuals before reaching out for supplemental materials. Far too many teachers seem to stray from the approved curriculum materials without fully reviewing them. If teachers feel a need to use some good supplemental resources beyond the scriptures and manuals in presenting a lesson, they should first consider the use of the Church magazines.
- Teachers can stay on safe ground when they use the standard works, the approved manuals, and the writings of the General Authorities.
The ultimate purpose of teaching is to encourage the students to live worthy of eternal life.
- In each teaching setting, whether it is a family home evening, a class, a sacrament meeting, or a general or stake conference, the teacher should strive to create a heartfelt desire in his students to live worthy of eternal life with our Heavenly Father.
Although teaching is important in the church, it is never more important than the teaching that we do in our home.
- Surely no teachers in the Church are more important than fathers and mothers. No classroom is more important than the home. Parents have been commanded to teach their children the gospel.
We are all teachers, whether we are formally called or not, we are all showing by our example, the things we believe.
- I believe that every human soul is teaching something to someone nearly every minute here in mortality. May we consider with great reverence the trust that the Lord has placed in us to “teach one another the doctrine of the kingdom.”
Elder Ballard reminds us that every soul is important to God. We have an obligation to help God's children learn His doctrines so the spirit can confirm the truth of the message to their hearts.
- May I urge each member of the Church, when you are serving as a teacher, to remember that every human soul is precious to our Father in Heaven, for we are all his children. God’s children are entitled to be taught the truths of the gospel in clear and understandable terms so that the Spirit can confirm the truths of the gospel to them.
In summary, Elder Ballard shares this:
- My plea to the teachers of the Church is to study, ponder, and pray for guidance in your preparation. Use the scriptures and the approved curriculum materials, teaching with the objective to bless and inspire the lives of those assigned to you. Let us also remember that some of the most effective activation work in the Church is accomplished by those teachers who reach out to the inactive, loving and teaching them until they are once again in full fellowship with the Saints.
I was in college the first time I was introduced to the "Teaching-No Greater Call" manual. I remember the basic concepts taught and how important it was to recognize the trust that the Lord has placed within us to be teachers. Many of us have been blessed to have opportunities to teach God's children. We should study the way the Lord wants us to teach and look for ways that we can improve the presentation of the gospel lessons we share. If we do, we will be able to provide the love and support that God's children need to focus their lives on eternal principles of the gospel.