- Mothers and daughters play a critical role in helping each other explore their infinite possibilities, despite the undermining influences of a world in which womanhood and motherhood are being corrupted and manipulated.
Righteous women have influences over the world.
- There is nothing in this world as personal, as nurturing, or as life changing as the influence of a righteous woman.
In the world today, a righteous woman is made to look like she is out of touch, unimportant, and naive to the things the of the world. This is not true and a message that comes from Satan.
- Popular culture today often makes women look silly, inconsequential, mindless, and powerless. It objectifies them and disrespects them and then suggests that they are able to leave their mark on mankind only by seduction—easily the most pervasively dangerous message the adversary sends to women about themselves.
He tells the daughters of the church to look to their mothers as their rolemodels. Actresses and musicians are not always good examples of the type of people that live righteous lives and make righteous decisions.
- I urge you not to look to contemporary culture for your role models and mentors. Please look to your faithful mothers for a pattern to follow. Model yourselves after them, not after celebrities whose standards are not the Lord’s standards and whose values may not reflect an eternal perspective.
Nothing can take the place of the love that a mother feels for her daughter. A mother's love is eternal and not just part of this life.
- No other person on earth loves you in the same way or is willing to sacrifice as much to encourage you and help you find happiness—in this life and forever.
He continues in his talk giving advice to mothers. The influence of a mother on her daughter brings a powerful support to her daughter to withstand temptation.
- Throughout the history of the world, women have always been teachers of moral values. That instruction begins in the cradle and continues throughout the lives of their children. Today our society is bombarded with messages about womanhood and motherhood that are dangerously and wickedly wrong. Following these messages can put your daughters on the path to sin and self-destruction. Your daughters may not understand that unless you tell them or, better, unless you show them how to make good choices. As mothers in Israel, you are your daughters’ first line of defense against the wiles of the world.
Mothers need to lead by example. They need to show their daughters how to live righteous, covenant keeping lives.
- God is the source of all moral and spiritual power. We gain access to that power by entering into covenants with Him and keeping those covenants. Mothers, teach your daughters the importance of making covenants, and then show them how to keep those covenants in such a way that they will desire to live worthy to go to the temple.
Mothers demonstrate how to have the spirit influence their lives. The Holy Ghost is their companion and demonstrate their love the Savior in the things they do.
- All youth will be more likely to make and keep covenants if they learn how to recognize the presence and the voice of the Spirit. Teach your daughters about things of the Spirit. Point them to the scriptures. Give them experiences that will help them cherish the blessing of priesthood power in their lives. Through keeping covenants they will learn to hear the voice of the Lord and receive personal revelation. God will truly hear and answer their prayers.
Elder Ballard ends with this comment to contemplate throughout the rest of your day.
- Keeping covenants is the safest road to eternal happiness.
I have been blessed by having mothers, a wife, and daughters that are blessed to have great relationships with each other. Their influence is powerful and teaches those around them. I am grateful for the light that shines in their eyes and the example they are to all those around them. We would be wise to show our appreciation and support to those women in our lives that bring great happiness and love to each of us.