- As parents in Zion, we have a sacred duty to awaken within our children passion and commitment to the joy, light, and truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ. While raising our children, we establish traditions within our home and we build patterns of communication and behavior within our family relationships. In doing so, the traditions we establish should ingrain strong, unwavering characteristics of goodness in our children that will infuse them with strength to confront the challenges of life.
He shares that the things that are taught in our homes are more important than ever in the crazy world we live in today.
- Lessons taught through the traditions we establish in our homes, though small and simple, are increasingly important in today’s world.
He outlines some of the basic things we need to be teaching our children so that the foundation of the gospel is deep within their souls. He specifically outlines these things are a good place to start in our teaching. These things were spoken of by our Prophet in recent addresses to saints in other parts of the world.
- Why we partake of the sacrament
- The significance of being born in the covenant
- The importance of preparing for and receiving a patriarchal blessing
- Reading of scriptures together as a family.
He empathizes with parents that get frustrated when their best efforts are challenged. Sometimes our plans are challenged by our children's lack of attention or lack of desire to follow their parents example. He says in moments like this, our faith is very important to rely on.
- Every parent faces moments of frustration and varying levels of determination and strength while raising children. However, when parents exercise faith by teaching children candidly, lovingly and doing all they can to help them along the way, they receive greater hope that the seeds being sown will take root within the hearts and minds of their children.
Our children need our example to rely on. Although challenges my come, our foundation needs to be something they can rely on when they are seeking their way back to the gospel.
- The things we talk of, the things we preach and teach determine the things that will happen among us. As we establish wholesome traditions that teach the doctrine of Christ, the Holy Spirit bears witness of the truthfulness of our message and nourishes the seeds of the gospel that are planted deep in the hearts of our children by our efforts all along the way.
I have mentioned before that my desire is to build a foundation that my children can rely on when looking for a way back to the gospel. Children make their own decisions that sometimes are in support of the gospel and sometimes not. I have focused on teaching my children the gospel of Jesus Christ, that they have a loving Father in Heaven, and that repentance is a real thing for their lives. As my children have made decisions that allow them to grow up, they know that when they need support, love, and compassion, they can come to me and I will always help guide them in the path of the gospel. They know where my foundation is built and that it can be relied upon at all times. I would encourage you to look at your foundation and if it is built so that others can rely on your faith in their times of need.