- As we unite to serve one another, we accomplish much more together than we could on our own. It is thrilling to be engaged and unified as we serve and assist in the Lord’s work
There are many benefits to serving others. Elder Cook lists a few spiritual blessings that come to us.
- As we serve, we draw closer to God. We come to know Him in ways that we otherwise might not. Our faith in Him increases. Our problems are put into perspective. Life becomes more satisfying. Our love for others increases, as well as our desire to serve. Through this blessed process, we become more like God, and we are better prepared to return to Him.
He speaks about serving in church callings and the blessings that are received when we serve faithfully.
- Even if we think that our Church calling was simply our priesthood leader’s idea or that it came to us because no one else would accept it, we will be blessed as we serve. But when we recognize God’s hand in our calling and serve with all our hearts, additional power comes into our service, and we become true servants of Jesus Christ.
- Blessings come as we persevere in our callings and responsibilities and hang on with all the faith we have.
- Accepting and fulfilling a calling is an act of faith. We can trust in what our prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, repeatedly teaches: “Whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies” and “When we are on the Lord’s errand, we are entitled to the Lord’s help.” Whether we are overwhelmed or underwhelmed, whether we are scared to death or bored to death, the Lord wants us to gear down, power up, and serve.
Elder Cook talks about being a help to the Bishop in our wards. We need to be asking how we can help him as he oversees and serves the members of the ward.
- If you want to make your bishop’s or branch president’s day, ask him the questions “How can I help?” “Where would the Lord have me serve?” As he prays and considers your personal, family, and employment responsibilities, he will be inspired to extend an appropriate calling. As you are set apart, you will receive a priesthood blessing to help you succeed. You will be blessed! Every member is needed, and every member needs an opportunity to serve.
Finally he gives us some encouragement to serve where we are and to serve those who need our help.
It seems at times in my life I need some help in refocusing on the simple things I should be doing. With the difficulties of work, church callings, family responsibilities, etc. I sometimes forget the ultimate purpose to our lives. We are here to help others along the path of life, return to our Heavenly Father. This talk helps me to refocus my efforts and look at what I am doing with my time and efforts. I need to balance my responsibilities better. When I do, I will be able to be used by the Lord to accomplish great things for His children.