- Some people have such a powerful experience with the Book of Mormon the first time they open it, but for others the witness of the truthfulness comes more gradually as they read and pray about it
- Whether our testimony of the Book of Mormon comes the first time we open it or over a period of time, it will influence us all of our days if we continue to read it and apply its teachings.
Elder Curtis invites us to have our own experience, learning that the Book of Mormon is true. He shares with us some of the many blessings that will come into our lives as we read the message contained in the Book of Mormon.
- I encourage everyone receiving this message, including the Aaronic Priesthood bearers convened in this meeting tonight, to discover the power of the Book of Mormon. As President Thomas S. Monson has encouraged: “Read the Book of Mormon. Ponder its teachings. Ask Heavenly Father if it is true.” During that process you will feel the Spirit of God in your lives. That Spirit will be part of your testimony that the Book of Mormon is true, that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is God’s true Church on the earth today. That testimony will help you resist temptation. It will prepare you for “the great call of diligence … to labor in the vineyards of the Lord.” It will stand as a sure anchor when accusations or slanderous statements are used to challenge your faith, and it will be a rock-solid foundation when you are challenged with questions you cannot answer, at least immediately. You will be able to discern truth from error, and you will feel the assurance of the Holy Ghost reconfirming your testimony over and over again as you continue to read the Book of Mormon throughout your life.
He encourages us to read the Book of Mormon in our families. He shares that as they have done that in the past, they have seen great blessings given to their family for their diligence.
- Our family is far from perfect, but we can testify of the power of the Book of Mormon and the blessings that reading it has brought and continues to bring into the lives of our whole family.
Elder Curtis concludes with his testimony of the Book of Mormon and the life changing effect it can have on us.
- The greatest power of the Book of Mormon is its impact in bringing us closer to Jesus Christ. It is a strong witness of Him and His redeeming mission. Through it we come to understand the majesty and power of His Atonement. It teaches His doctrine clearly. And because of the magnificent chapters describing the visit of the risen Christ to the Nephites, we see and experience Him loving, blessing, and teaching those people and come to understand that He will do the same for us if we come to Him by living His gospel.
How grateful I am for the Book of Mormon. I too can testify of the life changing effects that reading the Book of Mormon can have. Several years ago I was looking for direction in my life. I was looking for something to bring me a different type of happiness. As I reflected no the years of teaching from Primary and Sunday School, I was brought back to the idea that I needed to try to me faithfully live the gospel and that I would quickly see the effects in my life. I determined that if I didn't see any change, it wouldn't hurt to spend a little more time in the scriptures. I started to make the Book of Mormon a daily part of my life. Some amazing things started to happen. I was able to recall the stories of the Book of Mormon more throughout my day. I was able to see how the messages in the Book of Mormon applied to my life. I was able to help others see the great blessings of having the spirit in their lives. I was able to see that those promises made by my Primary and Sunday School teachers were true. They had learned that the Book of Mormon brought them closer to Christ and now, I had learned it too. I invite you to learn this for yourself as well.