- Clearly, our Heavenly Father and the Lord Jesus Christ have outfitted the Old Ship Zion with clear and simple eternal truths that will help us stay the course through the troubled waters of mortal life. Here are just a few.
Elder Ballard gives us several items that will help us through troubled times in our lives. He begins by talking about living prophets and apostles.
- The Church of Jesus Christ has always been led by living prophets and apostles. Though mortal and subject to human imperfection, the Lord’s servants are inspired to help us avoid obstacles that are spiritually life threatening and to help us pass safely through mortality to our final, ultimate, heavenly destination.
- It has always been a challenge for the world to accept living prophets and apostles, but it is so essential to do so in order to fully understand the Atonement and the teachings of Jesus Christ and to receive a fulness of the blessings of the priesthood that are given to those He has called.
A second truth is the doctrine of the plan of salvation.
- By understanding who our Heavenly Father is and our relationship to Him and to His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ, we will accept Their commandments and make covenants with Them that will lead us back into Their eternal presence.
Another key truth in the Church is that Heavenly Father created Adam and Eve for a lofty purpose.
- It was their charge—and, subsequently, the charge of their posterity—to create mortal bodies for God’s spirit children so they could experience mortality. By this process, Heavenly Father sends His spirit children to earth to learn and grow through the experiences of earth life. Because He loves His children, God sends heavenly messengers and Apostles to teach them about Jesus Christ’s central role as our Savior.
Another important doctrine that we should cling to is to observe the Sabbath day.
- This helps us remain unspotted from the world, provides us with physical rest, and gives each of us the spiritual refreshment of worshipping the Father and the Son every Sunday. When we delight in the Sabbath day, it is a sign of our love for Them.
- The presentation of the ordinance of the sacrament is when we renew our covenants and reconfirm our love for the Savior and remember His sacrifice and His Atonement.
Elder Ballard concludes with these comments encouraging us to receive the full blessings that the gospel brings into our lives.
- Now, as we ponder just these few truths that exist within the Old Ship Zion, let us stay on board and remember that, by definition, a ship is a vehicle, and the purpose of a vehicle is to take us to a destination. Our ship’s destination is the full blessings of the gospel, the kingdom of heaven, the celestial glory, and the presence of God!
Elder Ballard provides us gospel truths that will assist us on staying on the path to eternal life. Following these truths will allow us to have the Spirit in our lives. Having the Spirit will allow us to be led through the troubling times in our lives. I am grateful for the blessings that the gospel brings into my life. I have focused on each of these things in my life and see that there are great blessings that come from following the Savior. If we cling to these things, and implement changes in our lives that bring us in line with the Savior, we will be on the right path that leads to eternal life.