- Through the miracle of the sacred Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can also receive the gift of forgiveness of our sins and misdeeds, if we accept the opportunity and responsibility of repentance. And by receiving necessary ordinances, keeping covenants, and obeying commandments, we can gain eternal life and exaltation.
Elder Echo Hawk talks about the death of his brother to a drunk driver many years ago. He talks about the ability to eventually forgive granted him by the Savior.
He reminds us that we are to follow the Savior despite the actions of others.
- As sons and daughters of God, we follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. We are to be forgiving even when it seems others may not warrant our forgiveness.
Forgive requires us to partner with the Savior. There is real strength that comes from following the Savior.
- We can all receive unspeakable peace and partnering with our Savior as we learn to freely forgive those who have trespassed against us. This partnering brings the Savior’s power into our lives in an unmistakable and never-to-be-forgotten way.
Elder Echo Hawk asks a series of questions for us to ponder and we look at our own ability to forgive.
- Are there people in our lives who have hurt us? Do we harbor what seem like fully justified feelings of resentment and anger? Are we letting pride keep us from forgiving and letting go? I invite all of us to forgive completely and let healing occur from within. And even if forgiveness doesn’t come today, know that as we desire it and work for it, it will come.
We are reminded that forgiveness also requires that we not be so harsh on ourselves. We need to seek forgiveness for ourselves and be willing to give ourselves a break and let the Savior heal us as well.
- An essential element of forgiveness includes forgiving ourselves.
In a very personal story to Elder Echo Hawk, he reminds us that forgiveness is made possible through the Savior. Our ability to forgive others is given to us by the Savior. Not only does he forgive us, he helps us to forgive others. No doubt, forgiveness is a Christlike attribute that the Spirit and the Savior can help us achieve. It is not easy to forgive those that have done us wrong, but as we focus on the healing power of the Savior, He will help us find that ability to forgive and help bring peace that only He can provide, back into our lives.