- My message tonight is... what we must do to be a part of the plan of happiness our Heavenly Father has prepared for us.
He discusses what God's plan has been from the beginning.
- Before we were born, we lived in a family with our exalted and eternal Heavenly Father. He ordained a plan that enables us to advance and progress to become like Him. He did it out of love for us. The purpose of the plan was to allow us the privilege of living forever as our Heavenly Father lives. This gospel plan offered us a life of mortality in which we would be tested. A promise was given that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, if we obeyed the laws and priesthood ordinances of the gospel, we would have eternal life, the greatest of all His gifts. Eternal life is that kind of life which God our Eternal Father lives.
- God has said that His purpose is “to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man” (Moses 1:39). The great purpose of every priesthood holder, therefore, is to assist in the work of helping people rise to eternal life.
He spends the rest of his talk discussing our priesthood duties of leading and guiding our families through the Plan of Happiness. He describes what each Deacon, Teacher, Priest, Elder, and High Priest can do in their homes to help their families come unto Christ.
- Every priesthood effort and every priesthood ordinance is intended to help Heavenly Father’s children be changed through the Atonement of Jesus Christ to become members of perfected family units. It follows that “the great work of every man is to believe the gospel, to keep the commandments, and to create and perfect an eternal family unit,” and to help others do the same.
As he discusses what each priesthood bearer can do, he shares with us that we can only lead so far. People have to take personal responsibility for themselves and that means they have to act for themselves as the Holy Ghost prompts them.
- I have learned that the only exhortation that changes hearts comes from the Holy Ghost. That occurs most often as we bear testimony of the Savior, who was and is the perfect family member. As we focus on our love for Him, harmony and peace will grow in the homes we visit. The Holy Ghost will attend us in our service to families.
Many examples are provided on how we can help bring our families closer to the Savior. He says that as we change, we will be able to follow the path that we should be on and that will show our families the correct path they should follow.
- My hope is that your desire has increased to make the changes necessary for you and your family to live in the celestial kingdom someday. As a priesthood father, with your wife at your side, you can touch the hearts of each family member to encourage them to look forward to that day. You will attend your sacrament meetings with your family, you will hold family meetings in which the Holy Ghost is invited, you will pray with your wife and family, and you will prepare yourself to take your family to the temple. You will move with them along the path to an eternal family home. You will treat your wife and children the way Heavenly Father has treated you. You will follow the example and direction of the Savior to lead your family in His way.
President Eyring summaries his comment with this statement.
- In our home and in our priesthood service, the greatest value will be in the small acts that help us and those we love work toward eternal life. Those acts may seem small in this life, but they will bring everlasting blessings in eternity.
I love it when our General Authorities give us direction on how to lead our families in a Christlike way. President Eyring makes clear that the things he outlined will give us the greatest opportunity to find happiness in this life and prepare us for the next life. I am so grateful for having the knowledge of the plan of happiness. I am grateful for a Savior who has made that plan possible. I am grateful to have the calling of father and husband and the trust that God has put in me to lead my family through this plan of happiness. I pray that I will be able to lead them and guide them in the right ways through my example and encouragement.