- The Lord is preparing the Aaronic Priesthood holder to become an elder serving with faith, power, and gratitude in that glorious Melchizedek Priesthood.
He speaks of people that have encouraged us in our lives along our priesthood journey. He says that we need to look back with gratitude on those that helped us along the way by encouraging and lifting us to higher ground.
- For elders, deep gratitude will be essential to playing your part in full priesthood service. You will remember your days as a deacon, teacher, or priest when those who held the higher priesthood reached back to lift and encourage you in your priesthood journey.
- Every holder of the Melchizedek Priesthood has such memories, but the sense of gratitude may have diminished with the years. My hope is to rekindle that feeling and with it a determination to give to all you can the same kind of help you once received.
He speaks about several assignments when he was a Priest where he accompanied his Bishop to the homes of people in the ward. He speaks of this Bishops wisdom to see that this young Priest had the potential to become something great in the church.
- That bishop was a Melchizedek Priesthood holder who was raising my sights and giving me a boost by example. He taught me to have the power and the courage to go anywhere in service for the Lord. He is long gone to his reward, but I still remember him because he reached down to lift me up when I was an inexperienced Aaronic Priesthood holder. I learned later that he saw me on a future priesthood path of greater responsibilities, then beyond my own vision.
He shares that the main focus of helping our young men is to help them develop faith and teach them how to rely on God in their lives. This is wise counsel for the young men and the older men in the church.
- Many things may help strengthen our younger brothers to rise up in the priesthood, but nothing will be more powerful than our helping them develop the faith and confidence that they can draw on the power of God in their priesthood service.
- We all are aware of the fiery darts of the enemy of righteousness being sent like a terrible wind against the young priesthood holders we love so much. To us, they seem like the stripling warriors, who called themselves the sons of Helaman. They can survive, as those young warriors did, if they keep themselves safe.
He encourages priesthood leaders and fathers to help the Lord teach our young men their priesthood responsibilities. If we do, we will see that they are encouraged to stay in the church, magnify their priesthood, and help others do the same in the future.
- You priesthood leaders and fathers of Aaronic Priesthood holders can work miracles. You can help the Lord fill the ranks of faithful elders with young men who accept the call to preach the gospel and do it with confidence. You will see many you have lifted and encouraged stay faithful, marry worthily in the temple, and in turn, lift and prepare others.
President Eyring concludes with these words.
- I pray that we will rise to our call to lift others to prepare them for their glorious service. I thank with all my heart the wonderful people who have lifted me and shown me how to love and lift others.
There is great wisdom in the idea that our young men need to be helped and strengthened to prepare themselves for future service in the Lord's kingdom. President Eyring sees the current worldly situations so clearly and understands the struggles that are part of these young men's lives. You and I can help the Lord prepare these young men by offering encouragement, example, and love to each young man as they struggle with the issues they have in their life.