- Every child of Heavenly Father born in the world is given at birth, as a free gift, the Light of Christ. You have felt that. It is the sense of what is right and what is wrong and what is true and what is false. That has been with you since your journey in life began. The fact that you were baptized and received the Holy Ghost is evidence that you chose to walk in the Light of Christ.
- When you were confirmed a member of the Church, you were given the right to have the Holy Ghost as your companion. The Holy Ghost is a powerful source of light to recognize truth, to follow and love the Lord Jesus Christ, and to find your way back to God after this life.
- But the spirit who led the rebellion in the world before still opposes the plan and wants you to be miserable. He wants you never to find your way home again. That enemy of your soul knows you and your goodness. He knows that if he can turn you away from walking in the light, he can both capture you and stop you from helping others along the journey. He knows how good you are and your power to teach and influence hundreds of Heavenly Father’s children in this life—and thousands over the generations that will follow your path. If he can get you to wander away from the light on your journey, he can do harm and bring misery to many.
President Eyring speaks of the powerful effect of having good friends that help you along the journey of life. He says some friends can be good influences and some will be bad influences.
- Some of my achievements and some of my friends were major factors in my sensing light. Others, more than I knew at the time, were edging me away from the light. In important and long-lasting ways, choices I made to satisfy my desires for companionship and a sense of recognition were taking me either toward or away from the light to guide my path.
As we seek to have the Light of Christ in our lives, we need to remember that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ want us to find that Light and will help us along our journey. But there will be trials, setbacks, and mistakes that we make. The Holy Ghost can help us through these trials to getting back on the correct path of happiness and peace.
- Just as you are marked as a target by the enemy of righteousness, you have been protected and watched over by your Heavenly Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. They know you. They know all of the forces and individuals around you. They know what is ahead of you. And so They know which of the choices you make, which of the desires you decide to satisfy, and which of the circumstances around you will make the most difference in keeping you walking in the light. I testify that by the Spirit of Christ and by the Holy Ghost, you may walk confidently in whatever difficulties will come. Because you are so valuable, some of your trials may be severe. You need never be discouraged or afraid. The way through difficulties has always been prepared for you, and you will find it if you exercise faith.
President Eyring concludes with sharing with us the importance of faith in the process of having the Light of Christ in our lives continually. In order to have that faith, we need to be in the right places, saying the right things, and thinking the right things that will bring us closer to Christ.
- You must have faith to pray. You must have faith to ponder the word of God. You must have faith to do those things and go to those places which invite the Spirit of Christ and the Holy Ghost.
The Light of Christ is given to all of us at birth. It teaches us good from evil. It guides us to make wise choices that will bring us happiness. It leads us to find peace and joy in this life and prepares us for eternal happiness in the future. Those around us can be good or bad influences. When we are choosing the right path, trials will be part of our lives that discourage us. The Holy Ghost will help us through and we will find happiness and joy as we make the right decisions in life.