- Brothers and sisters, can you imagine how dark and empty mortality would be if there were no priesthood? If the power of the priesthood were not upon the earth, the adversary would have freedom to roam and reign without restraint. There would be no gift of the Holy Ghost to direct and enlighten us; no prophets to speak in the name of the Lord; no temples where we could make sacred, eternal covenants; no authority to bless or baptize, to heal or comfort. Without the power of the priesthood, “the whole earth would be utterly wasted.” There would be no light, no hope—only darkness. What a dark world this would be without priesthood blessings for you and me.
- The priesthood of God gives light to his children in this dark and troubled world. Through priesthood power we can receive the gift of the Holy Ghost to lead us to truth, testimony, and revelation. This gift is available on an equal basis to men, women, and children. Through the blessings of the priesthood, we can be equipped with “the whole armour of God, that [we] may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.” This protection is available to every one of us.
He speaks about the Savior and how He performed his mission on this earth by the power of the priesthood. Without the priesthood, Christ would not have been able to become our Savior.
- It was through the priesthood that the Son of God, the Savior, Jesus Christ, established his church—both in the Old World and in the New World. On both continents, he established sacred covenants and ordinances as a means for entering “in at the strait gate … which leadeth unto life [eternal].” In both places, he ordained twelve special witnesses to govern the affairs of the Church and to carry his word to the sons and daughters of God. Jesus Christ atoned for the sins of all who will repent and be baptized through the power of the holy priesthood. Through the Atonement, our Savior broke the bands of death and became “the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him.”
He shares how our world is benefitted today by living prophets and apostles. All the covenants of ancient times are available to us today because the priesthood has allowed a restoration of Christ's church today.
- Think of it, brothers and sisters—the priesthood has been restored. It is here on the earth today. President Gordon B. Hinckley is the living prophet. The First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve are modern-day Apostles of the Lord, Jesus Christ. Under the direction of these prophets, seers, and revelators, who hold the keys in this dispensation, priesthood holders in the Church today have the legitimate right to act in the name of God. As his authorized agents, they are commissioned to go forth and bless others through the power and authority of the priesthood, making all priesthood covenants, ordinances, and blessings available today.
Elder Hales talks about the blessing of the temple that are made possible through the priesthood.
- The greatest of priesthood blessings available to this young man or woman are found in the temple. There, they get a glimpse of heaven. In that holy place, although they are in the world, they are not of the world. In the temple, they see themselves as the offspring of royalty—as a son or a daughter of God. The joys of eternity, which can seem so distant outside the temple, suddenly seem within reach.
- In the temple, the plan of salvation is explained and sacred covenants are made. These covenants, together with the wearing of sacred temple garments, strengthen and protect the endowed person against the powers of the adversary. After receiving their own endowments, the young man or woman may attend the temple and perform vicarious ordinances to make priesthood blessings available to those who have died without the opportunity of receiving these blessings during mortality.
- In the culminating temple ordinance—eternal marriage—bride and groom are promised that, if they are faithful, they will enjoy a family union with one another, with their children, and with the Lord throughout all eternity. It is called eternal life.
Finally, he shares his personal testimony of the power of the priesthood that he has seen in his life.
- My brothers and sisters, I have witnessed the remarkable power of the priesthood to lift and bless, to heal and comfort, to strengthen and empower men, women, and children throughout the world. With all the sincerity of my heart, I desire to see the blessings of the priesthood be made accessible to all.
When you ponder upon the blessings that the priesthood brings into your life, you realize that without the power of the priesthood, we would be completely lost. There would be no restoration of the Lord's kingdom, there would be no goal of eternal life, and there would be no Savior to allow us to repent and make our lives whole again. How grateful I am for a loving Heavenly Father that allows me to have priesthood guidance in my life and to be able to turn to a worthy priesthood holder for blessings of healing and comfort when I need it.