- May I share with you some of the teaching moments and lessons I have learned from a modern-day prophet.
- We can learn much from the courage shown by President Kimball as he has endured his many illnesses. He is a living testimony that, by overcoming pain and adversity, we can cleanse our souls and strengthen our faith and testimony in Jesus Christ.
Elder Hales speaks about some of the trials that President Kimball had endured. He shares that his example of how to handle those adversities is a great example that we can all emulate.
- Too often when adversity strikes, we use it as a justification to commit sin and turn away from the teachings of Jesus Christ, the prophets who lead us, and our family and friends.
He uses several examples from the life of President Kimball to demonstrate his love for the work, for the Savior, and for the "one" that he needs to reach out to.
- President Kimball taught me a lesson during my call to become a General Authority. He asked if I would come to Salt Lake City to serve as a General Authority for the rest of my life. I was overcome with emotion. My reply: “President Kimball, I just don’t know what to say.” Then he said, “I only want you to say yes.” The lesson was clear; there is no need for an eloquent speech to express our commitment or our love and devotion when accepting a call from the prophet. He already knows these things.
- President Kimball always reaches out with love to touch the “one.” We were preparing for an area conference briefing, and as I entered President Kimball’s office, he was seated at a typewriter, his back toward the door. He finished typing and spun around in his chair to greet me. In one hand was a thirty-two-page letter from a young man who had read his book The Miracle of Forgiveness and, in the other, his personally typed reply to answer the special needs of a young man who wanted and needed his help to repent. The message was a clear one to me: No matter how busy you are, never forget those who need your help.
Several other examples are shared in the conference talk. I have only highlighted a few. I am grateful for the lives of those General Authorities that dedicate all they have to the building up of the kingdom of God. What an amazing responsibility they have to lead the Saints to exaltation. As we study the lives of the prophets, there are many examples that can help build our faith that this is the work of the Lord and that these great men are the Lord's servants in our time. I encourage you to learn more about their lives and strengthen your faith that this is the work of the Lord on the earth today.