- There has always been a desperate need for the steady and reassuring voice of a living prophet of God: one who will speak the mind and will of God in showing the way to spiritual safety and personal peace and happiness.
He speaks of their obligation to speak with plainness and boldness despite what the world says is correct.
- A characteristic of prophets throughout the ages is that, regardless of the consequences, they have had the strength to speak the words of God with plainness and boldness.
He bears his testimony that we have prophets today and lead and guide Christ's church. We will have safety and peace if we listen to their words and directions.
- With the restoration of the priesthood in 1829, there was a restoration of prophets in this dispensation. Living prophets are leading this church today. The greatest security of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints comes from learning to listen to and obey the words and commandments that the Lord has given through living prophets. I would hope that the world would understand the importance of having a living prophet on earth today.
He speaks about the many prophets he has known in his lifetime and the common characteristics each of them had. They have all loved the people they have severed, the Lord Jesus Christ, and have had no desire but to help bring God's children back to Him.
- In my own lifetime, through association with prophets, I have observed how they are prepared by the Lord. By the time they become the prophet, their greatest concern is for the goodness and obedience of the members of the Church. They express the love and gratitude they have for faithful Saints and for all who give of their goodness and service in the world in lifting and strengthening others. Their purpose is to bring us the will of the Lord for our times. I give my testimony that the prophets of this day have the qualities of the prophets of old and the other prophets of this dispensation.
Elder Hales tells us of some of the consequences that come from listening to a prophet of God. These things happened in ancient times and continue today as we listen and follow their counsel.
- If we listen to the prophets of this day, poverty would be replaced with loving care for the poor and needy. Many serious and deadly health problems would be avoided through compliance with the Word of Wisdom and the laws of sexual purity. Payment of tithing would bless us, and we would have sufficient for our needs. If we follow the counsel given by the prophets, we can have a life in mortality where we do not bring upon ourselves unnecessary pain and self-destruction. This does not mean we will not have challenges. We will. This does not mean we will not be tested. We will, for this is part of our purpose on earth. But if we will listen to the counsel of our prophet, we will become stronger and be able to withstand the tests of mortality. We will have hope and joy. All the words of counsel from the prophets of all generations have been given so that we may be strengthened and then be able to lift and strengthen others.
He shares his belief that that President of the Church is God's representative on the earth and leads Christ's church on the earth under the spiritual direction of the Savior. This is true today and it was in times past.
- The President of the Church, as a prophet, is God’s representative on earth and is appointed to lead his church. This has been true in the past as recorded in the Old Testament, the New Testament, the Book of Mormon, and in this, the last dispensation of the fulness of times with the restoration of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
He concludes by letting us know that we will have spiritual safety if we listen and obey the directions we are given by the prophets. They will lead us to eternal life with our Father in Heaven.
- Our spiritual safety lies in turning to the clear voice of our living prophet. If we listen to his voice and obey his counsel, we will be able to live as Christ would have us live and endure to the end so that one day we, along with our families, will return back into the presence of our Heavenly Father and our Savior Jesus Christ.
We would all be wise to listen to the advice and direction of our living prophets. This blog has been an effort to remind me in my life, how I am suppose to live my life. Learning of their counsel and direction has helped me put some good habits in place and has given me to time to focus more of the things that God wants me to accomplish. I sustain our prophets and seek to learn of their directions for our lives and to put those good things in my life that will lead me back to my Father in Heaven. I know as I implement their counsel into my life, I will be happier, have the spirit more in my life, and will be on the path that leads to peace and more happiness in the future. I encourage us all to learn more about the counsel of our prophets today and put their advice into practice in our everyday lives.