- The scriptures are essential in receiving a testimony of Jesus Christ and His gospel.
- If we don’t have the word of God or don’t cling to and heed the word of God, we will wander off in strange paths and be lost as individuals, as families, and as nations. As with voices from the dust, the prophets of the Lord cry out to us on earth today: take hold of the scriptures! Cling to them, walk by them, live by them, rejoice in them, feast on them. Don’t nibble. They are “the power of God unto salvation” that lead us back to our Savior Jesus Christ.
He shares his belief that if Christ were among us today, He would use the scriptures to teach us daily.
- If the Savior were among us in the flesh today, He would teach us from the scriptures as He taught when He walked upon the earth.
Elder Hales shares a powerful lesson with us that when we want to be close to God, He will speak to us from the scriptures. Prayer and scripture study go hand in hand in helping us know what God's will is for us in our lives.
- When we want to speak to God, we pray. And when we want Him to speak to us, we search the scriptures; for His words are spoken through His prophets. He will then teach us as we listen to the promptings of the Holy Spirit. If you have not heard His voice speaking to you lately, return with new eyes and new ears to the scriptures. They are our spiritual lifeline.
Elder Hales shares his testimony that the ills of the world can all be changed through the power of the scriptures. Christ can heal all things and the scriptures are the cure for the worlds problems today.
- We boldly declare that the answer to the terror, destruction, and even genocide of these last days is found in the scriptures. The gospel in the Old Testament is fulfilled in the New Testament. The prophecies in the Bible came to pass in the Book of Mormon. The Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price bear witness of the fulness of the gospel which is now upon the earth. From Genesis to Malachi and from Moses to Abraham, it was prophesied the Savior would come. From the books of Matthew to Revelation, from Nephi to Moroni, and from Joseph Smith to our beloved living prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley, the prophets all testify that Jesus Christ, the long-awaited Messiah, has come and will come again.
He concludes with a reminder that we have control over who we are and become in life. Even though their are many things that distract us, having our focus on the Savior will lead us to eternal life.
- We must remember that we have control over who we are no matter how difficult the world becomes. Despite all the turmoil in the world, when the Savior comes to His temple, as He did in the Book of Mormon, those who are true and faithful will be there. May we be among them.
Now is a good time to rededicate ourselves to spending more time in the scriptures. There are clear blessings promised to those that read and ponder on the words of God on a regular basis. I have seen the blessings in my own life and in the lives of those around me when we commit to seeking God's will for our lives through the scriptures. God's word is heard through the scriptures and I am grateful that we have them. I have heard God's will for me and noticed many things in my life that will make me a better disciple of the Savior while reading conference talks. The worlds of prophets and apostles are not only found in the standard works. They are found in modern day scripture through conference talks from those that the Lord has anointed to lead His church. Whatever you do to find more spiritual guidance in your life, just set a goal and do something to bring yourself closer to the Savior. It will change your life when you dedicate a little of your time to learn more of the Savior.