He starts by announcing new temples across the world.
- Before I begin my formal message today, I would like to announce five new temples which will be built in the following locations: Brasília, Brazil; greater Manila, Philippines, area; Nairobi, Kenya; Pocatello, Idaho, USA; and Saratoga Springs, Utah, USA.
President Monson then speaks about the importance of having a testimony of the Book of Mormon.
- The importance of having a firm and sure testimony of the Book of Mormon cannot be overstated.
He encourages us to make daily reading of the Book of Mormon part of our lives. By doing so, he promises us that the Spirit will manifest the truth of it to us.
- If you are not reading the Book of Mormon each day, please do so. If you will read it prayerfully and with a sincere desire to know the truth, the Holy Ghost will manifest its truth to you. If it is true—and I solemnly testify that it is—then Joseph Smith was a prophet who saw God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ.
He notes that a testimony of the Book of Mormon strengthens our beliefs and faith in other aspects of the gospel. If the Book of Mormon is the word of God, then the ways and means of us obtaining it were also from God.
- Because the Book of Mormon is true, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord’s Church on the earth, and the holy priesthood of God has been restored for the benefit and blessing of His children.
Sometimes we have to rely on the testimonies of others as we build our own testimonies. President Monson says that this will only take us so far and in these times, we need to have our own testimonies to see us through the trials of life.
- It is essential for you to have your own testimony in these difficult times, for the testimonies of others will carry you only so far.
He concludes with encouragement to each of us to make the Book of Mormon part of our everyday study. He promises us specific blessings if we do. These blessings are needed in my life and I am sure you could use them in yours.
- I implore each of us to prayerfully study and ponder the Book of Mormon each day. As we do so, we will be in a position to hear the voice of the Spirit, to resist temptation, to overcome doubt and fear, and to receive heaven’s help in our lives.
I love the Book of Mormon. For years now, I have made a practice of reading the Book of Mormon between conference sessions in April and October. I finish the day before General Conference and start the day after. I like listening to the scriptures so I created a podcast on iTunes that I subscribe to that sends me a chapter or two a day and finishes right before conference. If you would find this helpful, please find this podcast here. Making the Book of Mormon part of your daily life will being the spirit into your life, help you resist temptation, and gain heaven's help in your daily life. Join me in making the Book of Mormon a part of your daily studying.