- You are the future leaders of the Lord’s Church! Are you ready to take the reins of leadership?
He gives several thoughts on how we can prepare ourselves for the reins of leadership.
- First, focus on your marriage and family. Do what you came to earth to do will require the finest leadership skills your generation can muster. Thankfully, we have superb models to follow. While the world may look to the considerable leadership abilities of men and women such as Napoleon, Joan of Arc, George Washington, Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Teresa, and others, I believe that the finest leaders to have walked the earth are the prophets of God. If you are serious about rising up as a true millennial, I urge you to study the lives and teachings of these 16 prophets of God. That study will change your life.
- Faith, prayer, study, and hard work make a winning combination. Our Father sent you to earth in this final dispensation not to fail but to succeed—and to find joy while doing so.
He shares personal experiences of things he has learned from watching many of the Prophets of God that he has associated with. He speaks of Joseph Fielding. Smith, Gordon B. Hinckley, and our current President, Thomas S. Monson. He shares some personal thoughts about President Monson's leadership.
- President Monson has lived his life according to the motto “If the Lord needs something done, I want Him to know that He can count on Tom Monson to do it.”
- He has shown us how to reach out and rescue the one. He has taught us by example that taking care of people is always more important than management of time, or meetings, or schedules.
- Throughout his life, President Monson has often taken random routes home at the end of a long day’s work. Sometimes he stopped at a hospital to comfort those in distress. Other days he would be led to specific homes to visit. Often his unexpected knock on a door has been met with a tearful person saying things such as, “How did you know it was the anniversary of our daughter’s death?” or “How did you know it was my birthday today?”
- Throughout his life, President Monson has consistently demonstrated two fundamental qualities that make prophets of God extraordinary leaders: First, he has exemplified the first and second great commandments—to love God with all our whole souls and to love our neighbors, God’s children, as we love ourselves. And second, each prophet knows how to receive revelation and respond to it quickly when it comes. President Thomas S. Monson is the embodiment of righteous leadership.
He speaks about the laws of God. He shares a personal story about being President Spencer W. Kimball's heart surgeon and how he had to perform surgery to repair his pacemaker. Before the surgery, President Kimball had President Nelson, his surgeon, give him a priesthood blessing. As the surgery was performed, a wire needed to be replaced that was causing the troubles with the device. President Nelson says that the divine laws of God must be followed and even for a prophet of God, the laws of electrical current down that single wire could not have been altered so it had to be replaced.
- The knowledge of divine law and effective, righteous leadership go hand in hand. The more of God’s laws you may know—and more importantly, the way you live them—the more effective your righteous leadership will be.
- Divine law is incontrovertible and irrefutable. Divine law cannot be denied or disputed. And when God’s laws are obeyed, relevant blessings always result! Blessings are always predicated upon obedience to applicable law.
- Existentialists can expound; relativists can rationalize with their constricted views of reality—that truth is only a subjective experience—laws are laws! God’s truth is really true! What God says is right is right! And what He says is wrong is wrong!
- That is why it is imperative that you know God’s laws. They control this universe and multitudes of others. When divine laws are broken, consequences follow. Even though our hearts ache for those who break God’s laws, penalties must be paid. Divine law must be obeyed.
He speaks that what the world accepts as uncertainty, is not required by us. We can know what God has for us to do by understanding the way He works.
- While the world is filled with uncertainty, there need not be uncertainty in your heart and mind about what is true and what is not. Uncertainty is born of imperfect or unknown information. As an Apostle, I plead with you to learn God’s irrevocable laws. Learn them by study and by faith. That means, among other things, “[living] by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God.”
President Nelson speaks about the laws of Satan being dependable, repeatable, and regrettable while the laws of God are predictable, dependable, and repeatable.
- Entrapments designed by Satan can only bring to you misery, spiritual captivity, and death. This is true every time. The sad consequences of yielding to Lucifer’s lures are predictable, dependable, repeatable, and regrettable.
- Conversely, I promise that as you keep God’s commandments, as you live by His laws, you will become increasingly free. This freedom will unveil to you your divine nature and allow you to prosper personally. You will be free from the bondage of sin. You will be free to be you—an effective, righteous leader. You will be prepared to lead by precept and by example wherever you are needed. Happily, the blessings of keeping God’s commandments are also predictable, dependable, and repeatable.
President Nelson issues us a challenge that will bring us closer to Christ.
- Commence tonight to consecrate a portion of your time each week to studying everything Jesus said and did as recorded in the Old Testament, for He is the Jehovah of the Old Testament. Study His laws as recorded in the New Testament, for He is its Christ. Study His doctrine as recorded in the Book of Mormon, for there is no book of scripture in which His mission and His ministry are more clearly revealed. And study His words as recorded in the Doctrine and Covenants, for He continues to teach His people in this dispensation.
- This may seem like a large assignment, but I encourage you to accept it. If you proceed to learn all you can about Jesus Christ, I promise you that your love for Him, and for God’s laws, will grow beyond what you currently imagine. I promise you also that your ability to turn away from sin will increase. Your desire to keep the commandments will soar. You will find yourself better able to walk away from the entertainment and entanglements of those who mock the followers of Jesus Christ. To assist you, refer to the Topical Guide for references under the topic “Jesus Christ.”
- Study everything Jesus Christ is by prayerfully and vigorously seeking to understand what each of His various titles and names means personally for you. For example, He really is your Advocate with the Father. He will take your side. He will stand up for you. He will speak on your behalf, every time, as you choose to be more like Him.
- Get to know Him by studying all He continues to teach through His living prophets and apostles. Study “The Family: A Proclamation to the World.” Study “The Living Christ” document. These were both received by revelation. Post them online and where you can see them daily.
- Those revealed words are what every true Latter-day Saint believes. Pray for a witness that those truths represent divine law. Learn to articulate those truths in your own words. Practice! Then pray and look for opportunities to speak about what you believe. Your ability to lead and to have righteous influence will increase as you do so.
President Nelson ends with these inspiring words of our future and what we can do today to prepare to meet the Savior again after this life.
- In a coming day, you will present yourself before the Savior. You will be overwhelmed to the point of tears to be in His holy presence. You will struggle to find words to thank Him for paying for your sins, for forgiving you of any unkindness toward others, for healing you from the injuries and injustices of this life.
- You will thank Him for strengthening you to do the impossible, for turning your weaknesses into strengths, and for making it possible for you to live with Him and your family forever. His identity, His Atonement, and His attributes will become personal and real to you.
- But you don’t have to wait until then. Choose to be one of His true disciples now. Be one who truly loves Him, who truly wants to serve and lead as He did.
I love it when older people discuss stories from their life. I love hearing of experiences and how they caused them to grow and what they learned from their experiences. President Nelson sharing his life experiences of growing up with Prophet's of God as his mentors is inspiring and you really get to know more about these leaders of Christ's church. I really liked his discussion about the laws of God being predictable, dependable, and repeatable. God's blessings are predictable. If we follow Him, we can know with assurance that we will be blessed. This assurance gives me hope that if I stay on the right path, blessings will come to me and my family as promised. What a great promise from God to someone as simple as me.