- As members of the Church worldwide, we all have the wonderful opportunity of blessing the lives of others.
Helping those in need is a way for us to sustain our church leaders who are responsible to ease the burdens of those that are part of their flock. We share in the duties of our church leaders when we support them in their stewardship:
- To sustain our leaders is a privilege; it comes coupled with a personal responsibility to share their burden and to be disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ.
When we sacrifice our lives to help others, it is noted in Heaven and blessings are sent to assist us in our personal lives:
- It is so important for each of us to strive to lay up our spiritual treasures in heaven—using our time, talents, and agency in service to God.
We show our faith in Christ and our devotion to Him by the way we treat and act towards others. Sacrificing our time and talents to bless the lives of others shows our love for them and our love of Christ.
- Reaching out to rescue one another, under any condition, is an eternal measure of love.
Elder Rasband summaries from scripture, the things that we should do as disciples of Christ:
- As members of the Church, we each have the sacred responsibility “to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light,” “to mourn with those that mourn,” and to “lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees.”
As Elder Rasband saw volunteers come to the help and aid of their fellow human beings in the tragedy of the tornado's, he lets us know how grateful the Lord is for those that sacrifice so that they can be a blessing to those in need.
- Brothers and sisters, how grateful the Lord is for each and every one of you, for the countless hours and acts of service, whether large or small, you so generously and graciously give each day.
Finally he summaries his words in this simple statement:
- Focusing on serving our brothers and sisters can guide us to make divine decisions in our daily lives and prepares us to value and love what the Lord loves.
The greatest thing we have to give to our fellow man is our time. As we give of our time to help others, the Lord is pleased with us. I have recognized over the last couple weeks that I need to devote more of my time to lifting others in my ward. I have rededicated my efforts to reaching out more to God's children in my small part of His vineyard. I am doing this by sacrificing my time to visit and reach out to his children in an effort to strengthen them. I am so blessed in my life and I know it is because of the blessings that I receive from living the gospel. When I sacrifice my time to lift others, I know that I am demonstrating to my children, the commitment I have to be a better disciple of Jesus Christ.