- As the message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ is now being embraced around the world, we are all pioneers in our own sphere and circumstance.
He shares a story of his early life after World War II:
- I played in bombed-out houses and grew up with the ever-present consequences of a lost war and the awareness that my own country had inflicted terrible pain on many nations during the horrific World War II. The good news that Jesus Christ has made the perfect Atonement for mankind, redeeming all from the grave and rewarding each individual according to his or her works, was the healing power which brought hope and peace back into my life. Whatever our challenges in life may be, our burdens may become light if we not only believe in Christ, but also in His ability and His power to cleanse and console our lives, and accept His peace.
President Uchtdorf discusses how great it is to have prophets and apostles on the earth to lead us an guide on throughout our life.
- God is speaking to us in a consistent voice. God will deal with all the human family equally. We might be in a large ward or a small branch, our climate or vegetation may differ, the cultural background and language might vary, and the color of our skin could be totally different. But the universal power and blessings of the restored gospel are available to all, irrespective of culture, nationality, political system, tradition, language, economic environment, or education. Today, we have again apostles, seers, and revelators who are watchmen on the tower, messengers of supernal, healing truth. God speaks to us through them. They are profoundly aware of the different circumstances we members are living in. They are in this world, but not of this world.
Since we have been blessed with this knowledge of prophets and apostles on the earth, we are under obligation to not only listen, but to also act upon His word.
- The prophets speak to us in the name of the Lord and in plainness. As the Book of Mormon confirms, “For the Lord God giveth light unto the understanding; for he speaketh unto men according to their language, unto their understanding” (2 Ne. 31:3). It is our responsibility not only to listen but also to act upon His word, that we may claim the blessings of the ordinances and covenants of the restored gospel.
Despite all the trials in life, President Uchtdorf reminds us that God loves us, supports us, and wants us to be successful.
- There may be times when we may feel overwhelmed, hurt, or on the edge of discouragement as we are trying so hard to be perfect members of the Church. Be assured, there is balm in Gilead. Let us listen to the prophets of our days as they help us to focus on the things that are central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children. The Lord knows us, He loves us, He wants us to succeed.
This is such a great talk about President Uchtdorf's conviction that we have apostles and prophets on the earth. This talk was given before he was called to be an apostle himself. It is a pure and simple testimony that the gospel has been restored through the Lords pattern of calling prohets and apostles. Communication with God is not gone from the earth and President Uchtdorf reminds us of this simple truth.