Of the sad sister he shared these thoughts.
- Dear sisters, why should you surrender your happiness to someone, or a group of someones, who cares very little about you or your happiness?
- If you find yourself worrying about what other people say about you, may I suggest this antidote: remember who you are. Remember that you are of the royal house of the kingdom of God, daughters of Heavenly Parents, who reign throughout the universe.
- You have the spiritual DNA of God. You have unique gifts that originated in your spiritual creation and that were developed during the vast span of your premortal life. You are the child of our merciful and everlasting Father in Heaven, the Lord of Hosts, the One who created the universe, spread the spinning stars across the vast expanse of space, and placed the planets in their appointed orbits.
- Even when you stumble, even when you turn away from Him, God loves you. If you are feeling lost, abandoned, or forgotten—fear not. The Good Shepherd will find you. He will lift you upon His shoulders. And He will carry you home.
Of the mad sister he shared these thoughts:
- Of course, we must always stand for what is right, and there are times when we must raise our voices for that cause. However, when we do so with anger or hate in our hearts—when we lash out at others to hurt, shame, or silence them—chances are we are not doing so in righteousness.
- Perhaps our effort to love our enemies will soften their hearts and influence them for good. Perhaps it will not. But that does not change our commitment to follow Jesus Christ.
He briefly talked about the glad sister and noted that we should all strive to have the characteristics of this sister. Life may not be perfect, but our attitude can help us find greater happiness in life.
- The promises of praise and acceptance by the world are unreliable, untrue, and unsatisfying. God’s promises are sure, true, and joyful—now and forever.
He speaks about the tree of life and that we can learn from Lehi’s dream. He speaks about the people in the building mocking and making fun of the people that ate the fruit. Of this he notes:
- Nothing offered in the great and spacious building can compare with the fruit of living the gospel of Jesus Christ.
He concludes with some simple truths that he has learned personally in his life.
- I have learned for myself that the path of discipleship in the gospel of Jesus Christ is the way to joy. It is the way to safety and peace. It is the way to truth.
- There may be many things about life that are beyond your control. But in the end, you have the power to choose both your destination and many of your experiences along the way. It is not so much your abilities but your choices that make the difference in life.
So much of our happiness is found in the church. Some of our best friends and closest relationships are with people that we love and trust from church. But there are deep issues that we all have that a happy attitude just doesn’t seem to fix. President Uchtdorf reminds us that remembering our eternal DNA is important to our personal happiness. I can have a brighter outlook on the future when I realize that I am a child of God and it is only his opinion that really matters in life and throughout eternity. We should keep in mind that we are spiritual beings first and mortal beings second. This life is for a short moment but our spiritual lives will exist for all eternity.